On Packing

"How exactly do you pack for a year abroad in Germany?" you may find yourself asking.

Truth is, I have absolutely no idea.

So far, I have been winging it. About a month ago, in a fit of productive boredom, I made an very detailed and extensive packing list. I gave myself limits for the number of things like tops/bottoms/dresses/shoes that I would bring, I brainstormed and documented all of the electronics and various cables I would need, the paperwork I should keep handy, and most importantly, what I needed and what I wanted. 

That last bit is important--of course, nobody who has never been out of the country is magically prepared to spend a long time away from home. I needed some things like space bags, toiletry containers, certain kinds of pants and shoes, converters, etc. CBYX did something really handy a few weeks ago: they sent us a list of things previous participants were glad they brought along with a list of what they wish they hadn't brought. It has proven to be a very helpful guide when it comes to helping me pack less. As Patrick would say, ultralight, a term hikers use to describe bringing as little gear as possible. 

On the other hand, there was stuff that I don't have but that I would like to have, such as a couple more work blouses, extra makeup, a blazer, etc. These are things I can go without or buy while I'm in Germany, which makes narrowing down my packing list a lot easier. Of course, I'll end up getting some of the stuff on that list to make my life easier later on (e.g. makeup, it's almost double the cost over there! No thanks!), but it's nice to be able to say to myself that it's not a necessity and I'll function seamlessly without it.

Of course at this point, I have no idea if my packing will be adequate for my needs. I'm packing surprisingly less than I thought I would (it's probably because I keep hearing Patrick saying "ULTRALIGHT, MARGS" whenever I'm considering if I want to bring an item or not), but I don't know how much that'll change as I finish packing.

Another tricky aspect of packing is that I'm arriving early to D.C. with my Dad for the program orientation. We're going to be touring the city for a couple of days starting the 21st, and the orientation starts the 23rd. The next orientation starts on the 26th (I think) in Frankfurt. That means I'll essentially be packing for a ~10 day vacation along with my year's supply of stuff. Jeez.

When it's all said and done, I will have one suitcase, one carry-on mini duffel bag, and a backpack for a personal item. It's really nerve-wracking to think about--what if I forget something important? What if my luggage gets lost? I'm trying not to think about those things right now. Right now, I'm focusing on making sure every earring has a back and every sock has a partner. I'm going through my clothes over and over and over again to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm carefully picking my scarves in order to make sure I've got enough colors, patterns, and weights between the five I'm bringing to keep my neck cozy in all weather. You know, the important stuff.

Soon enough, I'll find out if my packing efforts were satisfactory. Pray for me in the meantime.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Retrospective Perspective: The Interview

2 1/2 Years Later

Die Praktikantin