Orientation Daze

The program year has officially begun! My adventure begins with a 3-day orientation seminar in Washington, D.C., where I'll learn from people within the CBYX staff, the State Department, our representatives, and the other participants.

Day 1 - July 23, 2017

The orientation seminar began officially at 4pm, where we all checked in with CBYX staff and obtained our room keys. Before that, I had been adventuring with my dad starting on the 21st. We drove to D.C. from Dublin and spent a few days eating food and doing some touristy things around the city. I had a really great time, and it was really nice to spend some time reveling in what it means to be American with my dad. 

We arrived at Georgetown University, the location of the seminar, around 3pm. I was a wreck. My stomach was in knots and I didn't want to face the future even though I knew I was so incredibly excited. It was the epitome of mixed feelings. I dragged my luggage behind me anyway and finally, FINALLY started to meet some of my fellow participants. It's no surprise to me that I like everyone I've met so far. Everyone is so intelligent, inquinsitive, and dedicated. It makes me wonder how I managed to be among them. Obviously, we come from all over America, so there are a plethora of viewpoints different than mine and I'm loving it. 

Since the seminar started in the evening, we ate dinner together and then played an icebreaker game that helped us get to know one another. We then got the chance to speak to CBYX alumni, and I learned that my peers ask way better questions than I do. That concluded the official events of the evening, so we had time to hang out afterwards. I sat and talked for about an hour and a half with some of the other women in the program and I really, really enjoyed it. It seems like we're all on the same wavelength! 

My brain is a bit frazzled from trying to remember 75 names, but I'm getting there. It's surreal to actually be here--I've been stressing about this for over a year now and it's finally happening. It's incredible to finally meet the rest of the wonderful CBYX staff and fellows. I still feel like I'm dreaming; I feel like I'm floating through this experience, making it up as I go along. 

Somebody pinch me. 

________________________________

Day 2 - July 24, 2017

The day began with breakfast at 7:30am. We got free bagels and coffee and I needed that coffee. I slept horribly--the mattresses are so uncomfortable and the room was freezing all night. Everyone had the same experience though, so... there's that, I guess.

After breakfast, we listened to leaders within organizations (including the State Department) talk to us about meeting with Congresspeople and what being on an exchange is like. I learned that I was going to be meeting with my Congressperson's staff, which is not something that everyone was able to do. Before that, though, we had one more chat about identities and living in and understanding new cultures. It was a lot like RA training.

We actually arrived late to the Congressional offices, which I thought was pretty entertaining considering how strongly they emphasize being on time while in Germany. I met with my congressman's legislative assistant, which turned out to be a nice conversation since he had studied abroad in Prague.

The rest of the day was spent in search of various food and drink with my roommate, Paige. We stick together most of the time--she's really excellent, and it's crazy how CBYX has this way of bringing so many interesting and kind people together. So far, that's been the best part of the program.

Some difficult things started happening today, though. I think reality is setting in for Patrick, and it's hard to watch. I know that he misses me a lot already--I can tell even in our short discussions--and I miss him a lot, too. It's harder for him though, because he's still doing what he was doing before we parted, whereas I'm in this whirlwind of new people and new experiences; I don't have as much time to think about what I miss about our relationship. I suppose that's an important part of realizing the sacrifices made when you do an exchange. You may realize the sacrifices but not experience them as acutely because you're busy within your program, whereas your family might realize them but not understand how strongly they'll feel until you're gone. It's absolutely difficult, and I feel terrible that he feels anything other than mildly bummed, but this is the new normal, at least for a while.

Now bed.

_______________________________

Day 3 - July 25, 2017


Um,,,,,,, soooo,,,,,,,,,, I'm panicking. I slept a lot better last night (we figured out the AC), but repacking my things and checking out of my room at Georgetown was stressful to say the least.

Our last few hours of orientation were spent talking about the program itself, what we're doing upon immediate arrival in Germany, and our fears and concerns. It was actually a really nice opportunity to hear directly from the CBYX staff about what we're doing and to have our questions answered quickly and directly.

As with the other two days of orientation, I'm still meeting people. There's 75 of us, so it's hard to meet everyone all at once. I've probably memorized 66% percent of their names, so I'll count that as a success.

Our bus departs at 2pm for Dulles airport, officially concluding our orientation. Even orientation has felt so fast, so I'm sure the flight and the rest of the year will zoom by. Here's hoping I figure out how to live in the moment, but if I've learned anything so far, it's that nothing here is easy.

Here we go 🖤❤💛

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Retrospective Perspective: The Interview

2 1/2 Years Later

Die Praktikantin