Before Hamburg: Cologne!

As you know, the CBYX program year is divided into phases: the language school phase, the university phase, and the internship phase. I recently learned that I will be in Hamburg for the University phase, which is the second phase of the program. This, of course, still left me wondering where I would be for my first two months in Germany--the language school portion of the program.

In a previous email, the CBYX staff (Katie) told us that we would be at one of three locations for language school, but she wasn't able to tell us where we would be just yet. I didn't really mind the wait; I knew that I would find out soon enough. I was right!

For the language school phase, I will be in...

Cologne! 


Cologne (German: Köln) is in western Germany, halfway between the country's northern and southern borders. It is, like Hamburg, a large city with an urban population of just over 1 million. However, it is not a city-state--it is within the Bundesland Nordrhein-Westfalen.

Cologne is known for it's stunning Gothic cathedral. It's got other really cool stuff,  but c'mon... that cathedral looks absolutely incredible. Luckily, the Carl Duisberg Center where I'll be studying is only about a twenty minute walk away.


I'm drooling.


Like Hamburg (or any big city, really) I've got a few worries. I have heard from a few friends that the main train station (Hauptbanhof) is a bit sketchy. And, of course, how can you forget about the "Cologne Sex Attacks" of 2015/16?

Of course, this is one of those times when I have to tell myself that more people = more danger based solely on probability. There's going to be the threat of danger wherever I go, but that doesn't mean I have to let it control me, my perspective, or my actions; all I've got to do is be smart, pay attention, and remain cautious, and I know I'll be fine.

I am really excited to get to explore and experience another iconic city in Germany as more than just a tourist. It will only be two months, but two months is plenty of time to feel at home somewhere. I'm excited to walk along the banks of the Rhine, see all the tourist-y sights, and to dive headfirst into the culture, and I'll be sure to update you along the entire way!

Bis bald!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Retrospective Perspective: The Interview

2 1/2 Years Later

Die Praktikantin