Gedanken Vol. 1: My Parents

Naturally, one of the first questions that people ask me is, "How do your parents feel about this?" So I figured I would answer that in the first post in my Gedanken series. Without further ado, here's what my parents think--I haven't edited their responses at all, so enjoy!

My Dad

How did you feel when I told you I got accepted into the program?

I was, and am, thrilled.  This represents what every parent wants…for their daughter to get out into the world and have a life that’s richer than theirs.  I’m excited and jealous at the same time.

How comfortable are you with the fact that I’m leaving and will never return just kidding but that I won’t come back for a whole year?

As you might expect, I’m a bit pensive.  But missing you for a year is a small price to pay for the learning experience that I believe you’ll have.

What are you worried about?

My great fear is that your hosts and/or cohorts and you won’t get along, because that would flavor everything in a bad way.  If that should happen, I hope that you take steps to remedy it as quickly as possible, because this needs to be one of the best adventures of your life.  I fear terrorism a little.  I dread the thought of you coming back here as a smoker who wears black clothes and narrow glasses all the time and listens to techno-pop.

What are you excited about? (If anything….)

I love the thought of periodic phone calls, letters, or blog checks, where you are fired up about all the things you’re seeing and doing.  I am full of hope that there are many doors about to open for your future.

What questions do you have?

Would you want me to visit?  (It’s OK if not.)  Is there anything that you want to ask me for, but are afraid to?  Do you feel ready?

Did you expect me to do this program? Why/why not?

I certainly did…this or something like it.  You have to understand that this is part of ‘the Plan’.  I’ve always demanded that you have a broad worldview and intellectual/cultural curiosity.  I’ve told you to do this sort of stuff while you’re young.  I stressed the importance of mastering a second language.  It’s reassuring to know that some of that took hold in you and that you had the gumption and talent to make this happen.  It’s a quite life-affirming, honestly..

What do you hope I’ll do while I’m in Germany?

A quick shopping list -- I hope that you will…
Always remember that I’m here to help you make the most of this opportunity;
See at least 4 world capitals;
See at least 2 world-class museums;
See at least 2 famous cathedrals;
Get to Oktoberfest and the Black Forest;
Drink it all in, pace yourself, and surround yourself with good people and new friends;
Represent to everyone that you meet what is best in America and be proud of what that means;
Use this to further your sustainability studies, because Germany is such a leader in that field;
Have a great overall experience, become a more learned and well-rounded person, and then use that as a standard for your kids and for the rest of your life.

What do you really hope I don’t do?

I pray that you never forget that you’re a representative of America and act accordingly.  I hope you don’t get into any trouble.  I hope you don’t get hurt.  As always, I hope you don’t get pregnant. 

Anything else you have to say about the whole thing?

I’m just so happy for you.


My Mom

How did you feel when I told you I got accepted into the program? 

I was super excited for you and extremely proud of you.  I knew you could do because you're smart - like me!  ; )

How comfortable are you with the fact that I’m leaving and will never return just kidding but that I won’t come back for a whole year? 

Still excited - but worried - and I can always come see you.  And you'll be surprised how fast a year goes.

What are you worried about? 

An emergency - an accident; something happening to you and it'll take me 12 hours to get to you - at least.  You're in a new country and it's different doctors.  I'm worried about everything - except how well you'll do.  That you have down!

What are you excited about? (If anything….) 

I'm excited for the things you'll get to experience; the things you'll see; the life-long friends you'll make - and by how much you'll learn by being in a different country.  This is something I wish I had done when I was your age.  

What questions do you have?  

What happens in an emergency? Will you know where to go?  What doctors to use?

Did you expect me to do this program? Why/why not?  

Once you said you were interested, yes, I expected you to do this program.  I could tell how excited you were about it!

What do you hope I’ll do while I’m in Germany?  

Anything and everything German!  Octoberfest, all the sight seeing, meet lots of people, do activities that you can only do in Germany.  Embrace it all and bring home lots and lots of memories and photos!  And I hope you'll send me lots of emails and photos and post on Facebook so I can see what you're doing and know you're okay!  And I hope you always make good choices - even if some of them are silly!

What do you really hope I don’t do?  

End up in jail, get hurt, die.

Anything else you have to say about the whole thing?  

I'm so glad you have this opportunity and I can't wait to hear all about it!  This is going to be something you'll remember the rest of your life; something that is exclusively yours.  And I expect you to miss me every. single. day.  :)  I love you, Mags.  Have fun, be yourself, make us proud and go for the gusto!

Obviously, my parents are concerned about very different things and have reacted to CBYX/PPP in very different ways. My dad is much more cynical and meticulous, whereas my mom is more worried and very liberal with exclamation points. Overall, they're both really optimistic, which is reassuring. 

Now that you've heard from my parents, look forward to Vol. 2, where I talk to my boyfriend! I get a lot of questions about him. Bis dann!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Retrospective Perspective: The Interview

2 1/2 Years Later

Die Praktikantin