Gedanken Vol. 2: My Boyfriend

As is the case for many 21-year-old females, my boyfriend plays a large role in my life. His name is Patrick, and I think he's the best. He's funny, smart, handsome, and annoys the bejeezus out of me. And I love him! Just look at his face:

Look at him.

No, look.

LOOK AT HIM.
He's a dream. When I asked him to respond to my questions, however... he was less of a dream. He was very hesitant about having his own post, and I don't blame him! But, after all, he is a big part of my life, and people ask what he thinks about the fact that I'll be gone for a year. Being that he will be hiking the Appalachian Trail for half of that year, he's somewhat indifferent, but I'll let him take it from here!

Patrick

How did you feel when I told you that I got accepted?

I was so excited for you because I know that it’s something that you’ve been working toward for a very long time, and because we found out during our Spring Break trip (and your 21st birthday) which made it even more memorable. Seeing all of your effort and preparation result in such an amazing achievement made me feel extremely proud and grateful to be someone special people in your life.

What do you think about CBYX?

I think that CBYX is an absolutely amazing program. I had no idea that there were organizations that gave extremely talented students an opportunity to have such a valuable and completely funded experience. I especially enjoy how the CBYX program has an academic and career component to it, as this differentiates the program from other study abroad trips that don’t have the ability to provide such an in-depth professional experience.

What questions do you have about it?

Some basic questions I have about the program include how old is it, where does the funding come from, and what is the motivation behind it? I’d also be curious to see how applications were filtered and how interviews were rated, because it seemed to me that competition was very strong as every person that I met seemed like a fantastic candidate. I’d also like to know if there’s any follow-up with the program when it concludes, either as a requirement of the student or as an “alumni” status.

What are you worried about?

I’m worried about you being concerned about the feelings of others back home. I don’t want you to feel guilty about leaving for such a great experience just because someone is sad that you’re gone or misses you. I also don’t want you to become too attached to things that are going on back home that you can’t be a part of (like holidays, football games, etc.) Just because you can’t be there doesn’t mean that you’re left out; we’re always thinking of you!

What are you excited about? (if anything…)

I’m excited to hear your stories about this amazing journey as you go off on your own adventure and explore a world that really interests you.

What do you think will be the hardest part about being apart for a year?

I think the hardest part about being apart for a year will be having to remember that just because someone doesn’t call or text doesn’t mean they’re not thinking about you. Communicating less frequently doesn’t mean that our relationship is deteriorating; it means that we’re both off on our own adventure. 


Clearly, Pat knows that I suffer from major fomo (for those of you don't know, that means Fear Of Missing Out), and that I tend to miss him immensely when we're apart. I know, I know--I sound so clingy. But he's wonderful! And gives great hugs! And he watches the Great British Baking Show with me! How could I not miss him? Anyway, I'm working on it. I know that I'll be okay, he'll be okay, and we'll be okay while we're apart, and I'm already looking forward to seeing him again when we both come back from our own adventures. 

Bis zum nächsten mal! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Retrospective Perspective: The Interview

2 1/2 Years Later

Die Praktikantin